Monday, June 17, 2013

Because I Can

After going so long without being able to move without pain, I was very grateful once I was pain free.  My babies were young, and I was a stay at home mom.  I started going to the gym 5 or 6 days a week, and putting my little ones in the day care.  They were too young to retaliate like they are now.  My baby was probably 5 months old.

I stared doing Spin class every day.  Since the gym I went to was sponsoring a Triathlon, they were incorporating Spin with a run before the class and swimming after the class.  I jumped on this ban wagon and was determined to do my first triathlon.  I was never a runner or a swimmer, but I did my best to get better.  I trained all summer for this event, and even bought me a beautiful new road bike.  All I had was a mountain bike, and that would just slow me down and make it even harder for me.

My motto had become, Because I can.  There are so many people out there that can't workout due to pain or a disability, but I could, so I did.

I accomplished my first Triathlon and felt great about the whole thing.  I had a great support group at the finish line.  My husband with our kids, my mom, brother, in-laws, and even a few friends came to show their love.  What a difference it made to have so many people come support me.

I went on to continue to run.  I worked my way up to a 10k, and did many of them in this area.  Someday I may do a half, but that is still far fetched in my brain.  I like my 2 hour runs, they are perfect for me right now.  As long as I am not being a couch potato, then I am better than I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment