Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Food Sensitivity

During the many years before diagnosis, I noticed that certain foods caused my pain to double withing 30 minutes of eating it.  I tried to figure them all out, in hopes to eliminate my pain all together, but that never happened.

I do recall wheat or gluten being one of the big ones for me.  Bread, noodles, even soup would make my hip pain so bad that even the thought of moving would make me want to cry.  Sugar of any kind, except the fake kind seemed fine.  I would use any artificial sugars in my coffee and be fine.  Tomatoes were one of my favorite foods, but would send me through the roof.  No more red pastas, or salsas.  Pretty much my two favorite kinds of food were my worst foods to eat.  No Mexican or Italian foods.  I went through major withdrawals with all my food luxuries being stripped from my diet.

One time I made my kids Top Ramen for lunch.  I love Top Ramen, but seldom ate it due to the super high sodium and calories, but I did let me kids eat it.  Sometimes they would not eat all of it and it would be left in the pan.  I recall cleaning the kitchen and taking just one bite of the Ramen.  I wanted the flavors, and warmth in my mouth.  My mouth was so happy to taste it, and the I remembered the results from just one bite of Ramen.  I went straight to the sink and spit it out.  The hours of my pain doubling was NOT worth that bite of heaven.

I felt like everything caused extra pain, and I could not narrow down all of the foods, so I lived on a lot of avocados and popcorn.  At least I could have those two favorites.  I lost a lot of weight, and loved how I looked, but hated the pain that took me there.  I went from a healthy, athletic, and active 140 lbs to a small frail weight of 116 lbs.  My sister commented once on what a great diet it was and at least I was and how nice that would be.  I told her I would rather be heavy and never deal with this pain again.

No comments:

Post a Comment