Thursday, June 20, 2013

Money Issues

Now that I had the miracle drug, I realized I was now paying almost an arm and a leg to get it.  Thank goodness we had insurance.  I believe the cost without insurance for 4 shots, that would last one month was $1,800.  Luckily we had insurance, so our cost was $600 for a one month supply.  When I heard this, I cried.  I didn't even know if this drug would work, and now I was paying $600 a  month  and taking a shot every week.

All I could think, was if I had an extra $600 in my pocket every month, we would probably had paid off our cars.  How was I going to do this.  We managed to purchase the shots, and I took one weekly for about 4 months before I felt super strapped.  I decided to leave a few shots in my fridge and not take anymore until I was in pain again.

I managed to go without a shot for a year, before the pain came back.  And then every time I took a shot it would give me another 6 months and slowly they got closer.  I now do a shot every month pretty much to the day, otherwise I can't walk and it escalates very fast.

It has taken me 7 years to figure out what the on coming pain feels like.  I always thought I worked out wrong, or ate the wrong food, and would just push through the pain until I was almost in tears, and then would realize I needed a shot.  I went a year a Crossfit blaming the Kettle Balls and the box jumps for my pain.  Since we did not do the same thing daily, it would be coincidence that I would hurt the day after doing these activities.  Then I would miss work out days and start to modify my workouts.  Slowly I figured out that Crossfit had nothing to do with it.

My shots use to also kick in overnight.  But If I don't do a shot the day I start feeling pain, then it takes a couple days to kick in, which is NOT fun.  So paying the money for me is worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kay,

    I'm a CrossFit Box owner. I have a new member that has Reiter's Syndrome. Do you still CrossFit? Could you please contact me. I would love to chat with you about your experience with Reiter's Syndrome and CrossFitting.

    Thanks,

    Mark
    Message me(https://www.facebook.com/mark.sun.18)

    ReplyDelete